Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Thrift Store & Yard Sale

I hit the Salvation Army during my lunch hour on Friday and found a few good items. They had all white and blue tag items 1/2 price. I probably could have found more, but I only have an hour for lunch and I had to squeeze in some nourishment too. First up was this adorable 3-part bluebird relish dish. It was $1.99. I love the vintage look of it and I'm going to keep it and sell the one I already have in my next yard sale. I got this flamingo tote bag for $4.99 and it is brand new, never been used. It reminds me of Florida and anyone who knows me knows of my love of Florida beaches. Every time I see a flamingo item I get a little chuckle out of it because it reminds me of when my son was little and he used to call them floppapingo's. This Ireland towel was originally marked .99 cents, and it had a blue tag so I got it for .49 cents. It's going in my booth along with a few other Irish items. My favorite flowers are peonies and lily-of-the-valley. When I lived in Indiana, we always had peonies in our yard. My Grandmother had lily-of-the-valley in her yard, and when I would go and spend the weekend with her in the spring/summer, I would lay in the grass and smell those beautiful delicate flowers. Such good memories! I still have a fondness for those flowers to this day, but you can't really grow either of those here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It's just too hot. I found both of these lily-of-the-valley items on Friday. The picture was $2.99 and it had a blue tag, so it was only $1.49. The love the vintage look of it and the frame looks old too. The cute little plate was only .49 cents. I've been waiting for weeks for this stoneware bowl to be marked 1/2 price. I knew I was taking a chance by waiting, but I just didn't want to pay $6.99. It had a blue tag, and that is actually a good price for a piece of Marshall Pottery (made in Tyler, TX), but I waited. It was still there on Friday, so I snatched it up for a whole $3.49. This wreath was $2.99 and had a white tag on it so I got it for $1.49. It was cute, but I knew I could make a Fourth of July wreath out of it. I just added a few flags and some blue glitter ribbon with little stars and voila! I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I'm going to put it on my front porch. As for the yard sale reference in my blog header, my whole family and I take a vacation together every summer. This summer we are going to Gatlinburg and staying in a big cabin. Once a year, before our trip, we have a yard sale at my mom's house, at my house, and at my brother's house. We use the money to pay for our gas there and back. This weekend, we had our first yard sale and made $250.00 towards our trip. It's a great way to get rid of our unwanted stuff and finance a fun family vacation. The leftover items are donated to the Goodwill. Everyone benefits!

6 comments:

  1. Add another hash mark to our 'alike' list; I love Lily of the Valley, wear Muguet perfume and had the flowers on my wedding invitations and programs even tho' I got married in August!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two Tammys on my blog list and both of you are so delightful! You did great with your finds...loved the cute wreath. My favorite cologne in high school was Muguet de Bois...so I have that in common with my two Tammys. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the sweet comments. I'm going to have to try that perfume. I absolutely love the smell of lily-of-the-valley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I love the kid speak and Family language for flamingo. My son used to say 'hopchopper' for grasshopper! We still do, he's 28!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heck I live in Florida and I love Flamingos too. Don't always find them too much though. That wreath is what caught my eye. And you have a good eye when it comes to the treasures.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are following my blog and I'm following you! I adore peonies and lily of the valley. I have both in my yard. I see we have LOT'S in common. I'm feeling the need to go thrifting! Nice buys. I have a hard time waiting for 1/2 off at the thrift stores.
    deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!