Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Ancestry Is Facinating!

I've always been drawn to all things British. Ever since I could remember, I wanted to go to England. Before I got married in 1997, my husband-to-be asked me where have I always dreamed of going and I told him England. We went there for 9 glorious days for our honeymoon. Flash forward to 2013. This past couple of weeks, I have been researching my heritage on Ancestry.com and discovered that nearly all of my immigrant ancestors were early settlers in Massachusetts immigrating from England. Oh we have a few from Ireland, Germany, and Switzerland, but the majority are from England, and some are very interesting characters. I've been able to go back as far as the 1400's with my lineage. The most intersting thus far has been Sir John Baker (1494-1558), who is my 13th Great Grandfather on my Mother's Father's side. According to the information on Wikipedia, he was a politician. He was Speaker for the House Of Commons and Counsil for Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary, and Elizabeth I. He had a castle! Sissinghurst Castle in Kent, and it is still standing today. There are still two more weeks left of my paid month on Ancestry.com, and I can't wait to see what other interesting things I'll find. Putting the pieces of my ancestry together has been alot of fun so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!